News

North American Retailers Spend More Than $6.5 Billion on POS Terminals in 2004

Thursday 10 March 2005 10:24 CET | News

The PC-based point-of-sale (POS) terminal market in North America continued to boom in 2004 with 12 percent annual unit growth and spending of $6.5 billion on POS hardware, software and services, according to a new study released by IHL Consulting Group.

POS spending is expected to be even bigger in 2005, says the report. Additional findings include: -- Shipments of Linux-based POS units increased 34 percent year to year but still represent only 6 percent of the overall market. This is expected to rise dramatically in future years. -- Shipments of Windows 2000/XP-based terminals represented 56 percent of the overall market. Windows 9x/CE represented another 15 percent of the shipments for a total of 71 percent of the market. IHLs 2005 North American Retail POS Terminal Study reviews the shipments and installed base of POS terminals sold into retailers in North America. It includes market shipment and installed base figures, market value, situation analysis for 10 retail market segments, overall trends affecting the POS market, and forecasts through 2009. This is the first of a series of studies prepared by IHL Consulting Group in conjunction with The Association of Retail Technology Standards (ARTS), a National Retail Federation retailer-driven membership organization dedicated to creating an international, barrier-free technology environment for retailers. ARTS was established in 1993 to ensure that technology works to enhance a retailers ability to develop store level business solutions and avoid situations that limit a retailers ability to implement change while providing industry standards designed to provide greater value at lower costs. More information is at www.nrf-arts.org.


Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

Keywords: ,
Categories: Payments & Commerce | Payments General
Countries: World
This article is part of category

Payments & Commerce