Asset based lending hits new record with GBP 19 bln provided to businesses

Tuesday 26 August 2014 11:48 CET | News

The combined amount of invoice finance and asset based lending provided to businesses increased by 7% in the last quarter, from GBP 17.7 billion in March 2014, recent findings indicate.

According to figures from the Asset Based Finance Association (ABFA), the body representing the asset based finance industry in the UK and the Republic of Ireland, the three months to June 30 2014 was the biggest quarter for asset based finance, with a record GBP 18.9 billion of funding provided to businesses.

The ABFA says that demand has partly been fuelled by constraints on traditional lending, but that is has also gained traction as more businesses gain an understanding of how borrowing against the value of their invoices and other assets can free up cash to invest in growth.

The ABFA points out that it is not just SMEs – typically seen as the hardest hit by constraints on traditional lending - who are making use of this facility.

Almost a third (31%) of the total advanced through asset based finance in the last three months was used by companies with an annual turnover of more than GBP 100 million.

The ABFA also explains that 80% of asset based finance is invoice finance, in which businesses secure funding against their unpaid invoices, while the other 20% represents the fast-growing area of asset based lending, in which businesses can raise money secured against a range of other assets they own, including inventory, property and machinery.

In recent news, ABFA highlighted that the Governments decision that banks must forward SMEs unsuccessful loan applications to other potential finance providers, including asset based financiers, could deliver a major boost to small business funding in the UK.

Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

Keywords: Asset based lending, new record, ABFA, UK, invoice finance, asset based finance, traditional lending
Categories: Banking & Fintech
Countries: World
This article is part of category

Banking & Fintech